As experienced providers of dental bonding in Auckland, we’re well acquainted with the pain and discomfort our patients experience from chipped or cracked teeth. Whether you’ve taken a nasty fall recently and suffered the consequences, or whether there are small gaps in your teeth that have been there since birth, we’ll be able to restore tooth structure and re-shape your smile to fit your ideal expectations.
What is Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding is a quick and painless procedure where tooth-coloured composite resin is applied to cracked, malformed or discoloured teeth in order to improve both their structure and appearance. Composite fillings are used by Primecare Dental as they are strong and more attractive. Another advantage of a composite filling is that the material used can help insulate the tooth from major temperature changes.
Due to its versatility, dental bonding can be used for cosmetic dentistry or health-related reasons, including:
- Making discoloured teeth whiter and smoother
- Closing gaps between teeth
- Repairing chipped or cracked teeth
- Changing the shape of the tooth to match the surrounding set
- In some cases, as a replacement for standard fillings
Dental bonding also has the helpful side-effect of insulating the tooth from major temperature changes, meaning people with sensitive teeth can say goodbye to the pain of ice-cold drinks and hot soups.
Dental Bonding Treatment Process
Due to the relative speed and ease with which our technicians can perform this treatment, the process is simple and straightforward. From start to finish, the procedure takes about 30 to 60 minutes per tooth.
- We prepare the resin. Using something called a “shade guide”, we will select the resin that matches the colour of the rest of your teeth. If you are having the resin applied to many teeth for cosmetic reasons, then we will consult with you about which shade you prefer.
- Anaesthetise. This step is only necessary if the chip we are repairing is fairly close to the nerve or root of the tooth, in which case even touching it would be quite painful, or if we need to drill into the tooth to change its shape. Usually, anaesthesia is not needed.
- Preparing the tooth. In order to help the resin adhere to the smooth surface of your tooth, we roughen it slightly and apply a special conditioning liquid that acts a little bit like glue.
- Applying and hardening the resin. The resin is then applied, and because it is quite malleable we can mould it into the exact shape that you are looking for, then smooth it down. Once it has been shaped we use a bright blue light to harden it into shape on your tooth, trim it, and polish it to a shine.
Here at Primecare Dental, the dental bonding process is quick and usually only requires a single treatment to finish the required treatment, so you can walk out satisfied and smiling with confidence and joy. If you’re looking for a solution to your chipped or gapped teeth or are looking for a smile makeover, call us now to set up a consultation!